Alert! Only three more preparing days left before celebrating Jesus’ birthday! Don’t just shop – prepare to celebrate Immanuel (God with us!). Last night Sonja and I were at a Christmas party and the question was asked, “What traditions do you have at Christmas?” A great question! Might I suggest a couple? One is that before we open any presents we read the Christmas story (I suggest Luke 2:1-20) and the second thing we do is celebrate Communion.
You do not have to be an experienced minister to serve Communion. Here’s what you do…
- Have a small cracker or piece of bread for every person that is to participate (you can do this by yourself as well)
- Have a cup(s) with grape juice (we Kemps use sparkling grape juice at Christmas to make it a little special, but that’s not necessary).
- Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- Make any comments you may have about the crackers representing Jesus’ body and then break the cracker/bread and then invite everyone to eat their cracker/bread
- Make any comments you may have about the juice representing Jesus’ blood that was shed for the forgiveness of our sins and then invite everyone to drink their juice
- End with prayer
I promise, the Holy Spirit will show up and it will make Christmas so very special.
After that? Why open the presents!
Have a great day! _dlk