Most of us I assume are familiar with Thomas Aquinas…
Most of us I assume are familiar with Thomas Aquinas (or at least have heard of his name). He had given the 5 Proofs of God. I’ll put out each argument daily (if the moderators allow it.) I’ve found giving it all in bulk can be a bit overwhelming if you don’t take the time to chew on each proof.
The First Way: Argument from Motion
1. Our senses prove that some things are in motion.
2. Things move when potential motion becomes actual motion.
3. Only an actual motion can convert a potential motion into an actual motion.
4. Nothing can be at once in both actuality and potentiality in the same respect (i.e., if both actual and potential, it is actual in one respect and potential in another).
5. Therefore nothing can move itself.
6. Therefore each thing in motion is moved by something else.
7. The sequence of motion cannot extend ad infinitum.
8. Therefore it is necessary to arrive at a first mover, put in motion by no other; and this everyone understands to be God.