Living on Sabbath Time: Day 7/31
Well, I pray that you are having a good first week during our Sabbath month. Remember, living a Sabbath life is not about getting time off to goof off; it is about recalibrating your life and schedule around God’s time and God’s priorities. Sabbath living is learning to go at the pace God designed life. So my prayer for you today and throughout the rest of this week is that you will begin to find yourself slowing down in some areas that have gotten out of balance and that you will discover that you are focusing more of your life and energy on things that truly bring you joy.
Resting in Him, dlkemp
SCRIPTURE: Genesis 1:1 – 2:3
- Today I want you to go back to the beginning and review how God meant life to be. It is easy to become so accustomed to the values and pace of 21st century living that we think of it as normal. Like fish living in an aquarium, we become trapped in an artificial mindset that reduces us and traps us in a mode of living that is far beneath what we were meant to live.
- Note how normal day seven is and yet how different. The Sabbath day of rest is just as normal as the sun, moon and stars to divide the day from night and to determine the seasons, days and years (Genesis 1:14). A Sabbath day is how God designed the week to be. I like to think of God’s seven day week as a “Sabbath week” vs. the way most people think today – a “Work week.”
- For you, what would be different about your week if you choose to live according to a “Sabbath week” vs. a “Work week”?
- What things are beyond you and your family’s control in recalibrating your week and what things could you and your family change to more align yourself with God’s will for your week?
- Note in Genesis 2:1-3 how many times God refers to finishing/completing his work and resting. Why do you think He made a point to highlight that fact and what does it mean to you and your family.
- Finally, what is one specific thing you are going to do this week to observe a Sabbath day?